The Estimating Director is responsible for providing guidance and support to our estimating group and operations members engaged in the estimating function for power line construction. He or She will be actively engaged in estimates or proposal development, project start-up, and execution. The position supports projects across our entire footprint but is based from our corporate office in Houston.
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of the estimate.
- Support estimates by completing or supervising the calculation of the complete scope of work.
- Lead the solicitation and acceptance of subcontractor or vendor cost and proposal data to support estimates.
- Ensure the review and incorporation of historical data from past projects, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. is completed and interpreted into unit and man-hour figures.
- Participate in bid strategy and presentation meetings as requested.
- Interface with owner, A/E or other contractors to provide engineering and cost data to support the bid / proposal.
- Facilitate contract hand-off to PM / Operations. Includes job cost tracking set-up, development of revenue recognition units and productivity analysis reporting.
- Prepare shop drawings and submittals. Manage and report on submittal status.
- Support awarded contracts – may include estimating extra work items, change orders, credits; procurement of material etc.
- Ensure project engineering activities comply with company and contract requirements and support overall construction schedule.
- Provide technical support for construction, including participation in construction planning, coordination of construction activities, and cost / schedule management.
- Ensure assigned subcontractors activities are performed in accordance with the Purchase Order/ Contract
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field with combination of technical training and experience.
- 10 plus years estimating or engineering experience, preferably related to heavy civil and/or outside overhead and underground power construction.
- Must have strong computer skills and have experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power-Point.
- Significant travel required at least 50%, often upon short notice.
- Specific knowledge of estimating techniques related to crew based costing & linear construction
- Ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems.